FREE training on 10th May (10am to 4pm), Manchester University (Alan Turing Building)
What is Maths Busking?
Combining the worlds of mathematics and busking, enthusiastic mathematicians perform interactive busking shows for everyone who walks by. Using skills and training from busking, these ‘maths buskers’ employ a range of tricks and demonstrations that are perfectly suited to engage a curious public. Maths Busking provides entertaining shows whilst introducing people of all ages to basic mathematical principles and concepts.
The team of buskers led by Sara Santos, Matt Parker (’stand-up mathematician’) and Steve Humble (aka Dr Maths) are looking to train buskers in Manchester from a pool of academics, postgraduate and undergraduate students as well as teachers, communicators and performers. Applications from under 18 may be considered.
Following the success of the first Maths Busking training day in Manchester in March, we are running four more training days in Bath, Birmingham, London and Manchester.
The Manchester training day is on 10 May 2010, at the University of Manchester (Alan Turing Building) from 10 am to 4pm. Lunch will be provided. Modest travel costs will be covered for a few participants living outside Manchester - contact us to find out more details.
The first team of Maths Buskers performed at
- Big Bang in Manchester, March
- Nottingham Science Festival, March
- Manchester Museum and BCME7 in Manchester, April
After training Maths Buskers will be offered busking opportunities at other major events in 2010 and beyond (music festivals, Science Festival, Big Bang, local science festivals, 2011 science week, etc). Trained buskers may wish to do an afternoon, day or full event depending on their other commitments.
Some of the upcoming performances opportunities include:
- How to Talk Maths in Public, IMA Conference, Manchester, 8th to 9th June
- Cheltenham Science Festival, Cheltenham, June
- Royal Society, London, 26th to 27th June
- Big Bang in Swansea, Swansea, 6th July
- British Science Festival, Birmingham, 18th to 19th September
- Manchester Science Festival, Manchester, October
- We are also arranging a street performance in Central London between now and July.
For more information and to book a place on the training day email us at: email@example.com
Maths Busking has the support of HE STEM, IMA, LMS, The University of Manchester and The Royal Institution of Great Britain.