[University home]

FSE Researcher Development

Graduate Resource Book, eProg and the Crucial Guide

Essential Guides for Postgraduate Researchers

Graduate Resource Book - A Guide to Personal & Professional Development for Research Students

The Graduate Resource Book is a valuable source of reference information and advice, designed to help you consider and plan the optimal path to completing your research degree successfully, achieve your personal goals, and improve your employability in your chosen career. The Graduate Resource Book will assist you to think about the ways in which you can acquire and enhance a range of transferable skills, alongside your specialist research knowledge.

Every research student in the Faculty of Engineering & Physical Sciences at the University of Manchester is encouraged to review this guide - you can download a copy here:


The Graduate Resource Book is used in parallel with eProg - the University wide online progression system for postgraduate researchers. It enables you, your academic supervisors, and administrators to record and track key progression milestones throughout you research programme from the point of registration to examination. eProg provides access to compulsory milestones and online forms that you will be required to complete as you move through your programme. eProg also holds an extensive training catalogue specificially designed to support your research career journey.

The Crucial Guide

The Crucial Guide provides information on the wide range of support services available to you as postgraduate student at The University of Manchester. It is aimed at helping you to settle into student like at Manchester and includes information on registration, academic life, well being, finances, and immigration.

Postgraduate Programme Handbooks

In addition to the Graduate Resource Book and Postgraduate Crucial Guide, you may find that your School has also produced a postgraduate programme handbook that provides specific details about your research programme and any local requirements. Contact your School Postgraduate Administrator for more details.